Tuesday 29 May 2012

Jubilee treats......oops i mean cheats



I have a little confession to make a bit like the chapter in the book I don't know how she doe's it i too have committed the awful sin of motherhood that is cheating at the nursery cake request.

Oh yes you heard it hear first faking it as mum is my new slogan i hold my hands up and bow my head in the shame. We have all been there the over looked request from school or nursery that is found at the last moment written on a crumpled bit of paper filed neatly at the bottom of the school bag.

I find my request just after dinner last night for some homemade cakes for the cake sale today to raise funds for the nursery garden. I vaguely remember looking at the note last week and buying some jubilee cup cake cases ready for a lovely afternoon of baking (honest)!!

However at 7pm at the end of a lovely sunny day the thought of cooking in a kitchen mid renovations where a hard hat is required just to make a cup of tea did not exactly fill me with joy.


I thought about it for oh all of five seconds and decided there was nothing else for it than...... to grab my purse and nip to Tesco. Once there i battled with my self  as i linger in the baking isle looking at a bag of flour willing myself to do the right thing. Another glance at my watch and my alter ego takes over and i grab some white ready roll icing and then find myself in the ready made cake isle. I quickly grab some ready made cupcakes and rush to the till before i have time to change my mind.

Once home i add a few drops of blue colouring to a small piece of the ready roll icing and leave the rest white.



 Little E is having so much fun in the garden and i know I'm going to struggle getting him in so i fib and say do you want to come in i have some play doh. He runs in and using play doh cutters makes circles out of the white icing and hearts out of the blue. These are simply put on top of each other on top the cakes and finished off with a cherry to give us the red white and blue for the jubilee.

I think to my self oh well we have come this far may as well completely cheat and make them look home made so the final sin of motherhood is committed by removing the cake cases and replacing them with the jubilee ones i purchased with my good intentions. To finish off we pop them onto a union jack plate that we had in the cupboard from our palace picnic at the weekend.




So there you have it jubilee fakes a good make for a mum in a hurry. I do hope i can redeem myself later in the week as i still have a king costume to russel up for a disco and a royal teddy bears picnic to prepare.

I hope I'm not alone in my sinning let me know if you have ever been caught out or have any ideas for making a costume fit for a king.

Faking it as mum xx

6 comments:

  1. ROFL! Your secret's safe with me! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great xx i don't want the perfect mummy police after me.

      Delete
  2. Ha! I have one friend who does this for every cake sale at school. And another one who buys them ready decorated and sends them in in original packaging #shameless!
    (Actually Mummy)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. #shameless indeed that makes me feel so much better to know im not the first and won't be the last to commit this secret sin of motherhood x

      Delete
  3. Faking it as mum - I love it! Sometimes a mum's got to do what a mum's got to do. I did have a good chuckle about this one. Next time I'm asked to make something and leave it till the last minute I think I'll remember this and pop to Tesco!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do try my best usually but your right sometimes a mums got to do what a mums got to do. I had a good chuckle when making them too (using the term making lightly of course hehe)

      Delete